FIVE STAR GUIDES
Art & Culture Tour
At Five Star Guides, our Art and Culture tours are as varied as the travellers who go on them: we offer customised guided art, craft and cultural tours to suit all interests and tastes. We introduce clients to practicing artists and curators and go ‘behind-the-scenes’ to where art happens – studios, collectives, leading art galleries and hidden collections in private museums and houses.
Cape Town has a creative outpouring in so many senses (visual art, public art, performing art, architecture, interior design, product design and craft) that it’s sometimes a little overwhelming! As such, we build our tours around the traveller’s interests.
What To Expect
A tour might include:
- Explore the old part of the centre of Cape Town where leading commercial galleries meet 18th and 19th century private houses and museums
- Visit Woodstock where the contemporary art scene is happening – leading, world renowned art galleries and design shops meet start-up galleries, design and animation studios in a districted peppered by post-industrial warehouses and a vibey street scene
- Visit the newly opened Zeitz MOCAA (Museum of Contemporary African Art), the largest contemporary art museum on the continent, in the world class Victoria and Alfred waterfront. And visit Southern Guild, next door, Africa’s leading design store, or pop into Donald Greig to view wildlife sculptures at his shop and foundry and see the pouring
- Combine a winelands tour with some top collections in the vineyard estates and galleries of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek and visit Dylan Lewis’ sculpture garden outside Stellenbosch
- Visit community-based arts and craft projects in Langa, Masiphumelele or Kayamandi and see where locals are creating authentic work